Sunday, May 19, 2013

Faculty Preview: Dinty W. Moore

In anticipation of the 28th Annual Antioch Writers Workshop (July 6-12), we've asked some of this summer's faculty to talk about why they're excited, what participants can expect from this summer's workshop, and to give some writing advice. This installment features Morning Creative Nonfiction / Memoir Instructor Dinty W. Moore

Why are you excited about being part of this summer’s Antioch Writers’ Workshop? 

I have been hearing talk for years now about the Antioch Writers’ Workshop and what an excellent summer conference experience can be found there, and just last year I managed my first visit to Yellow Springs. The Conference combined with the locale promises to be one magnificent week, plus the list of other faculty has me chomping at the bit: I want to take classes with everyone else, not just teach my own. 

What can participants look forward to in working with you? 

I believe in the mystery and magic of the artistic process, but I also believe a writer needs to have an overflowing toolbox labeled “craft and technique” in order to capture those dreamlike moments of realization and insight, so my classes tend to spend time on the nuts and bolts: How do writers capture character in just a few strokes of the pen? How do writers create metaphor to give fullness to an essay? What is voice and where is it found? I also believe in having fun, so we’ll do some of that as well. 

In the spirit of the 28th annual Antioch Writers Workshop, what is the best advice you can give to writers in 28 words or less? 

 We learn from our mistakes, so we must always be writing.

Visit our website for more information about 2013 Summer Faculty, available programs, and registration information. We look forward to seeing you soon at the 28th Annual Summer Antioch Writers' Workshop!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Search This Blog