Sunday, May 19, 2013

Faculty Preview: Lee Martin

In anticipation of the 28th Annual Antioch Writers Workshop (July 6-12), we've asked some of this summer's faculty to talk about why they're excited, what participants can expect from this summer's workshop, and to give some writing advice. This installment features Keynoter and Morning Fiction Instructor Lee Martin


Why are you excited about being part of this summer’s Antioch Writers’ Workshop? 

It's always exciting to be part of a workshop in which the participants are genuinely interested in helping one another push their writing further along. I love the energy and good will that can come from such a workshop, and I love knowing that I've in some small way been a part of those writers' journeys. I also look forward to learning from the writers around the workshop table and having these days to immerse ourselves in what we all so dearly love--the craft of writing. 

What can participants look forward to in working with you? 

I always try to get a good sense of what a writer is attempting in a particular piece, and then I talk about the artistic choices that the writer has made that are helping the piece be more fully realized. From there, I try to focus on other choices that, if rethought, would better contribute to the desired effect of the piece, or new choices that may be necessary. Participants can look forward to this type of consideration of draft and revision, but they can also anticipate a relaxed atmosphere of good humor and respect. I never met a corny joke or pun that I didn't like, and I don't hesitate to share them with a captive audience. 

In the spirit of the 28th annual Antioch Writers Workshop, what is the best advice you can give to writers in 28 words or less? 

 From Isak Dinesen: "I write a little every day, without too much hope, without too much despair."

Visit our website for more information about 2013 Summer Faculty, available programs, and registration information. We look forward to seeing you soon at the 28th Annual Summer Antioch Writers' Workshop!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Search This Blog