Friday, September 21, 2012

In Your Words: Reflections on 2012 AWW

Today's post about the 2012 Antioch Writers' Workshop comes from one of the Young Writers program participants. In a heartfelt and inspiring post, Marissa details the excitement of being accepted and her reflections on the program:

I cried even harder when I got an email at midnight that said “Congratulations! You have been selected as a participant in the Antioch Writers’ Workshop Young Writers’ Program!” I also screamed, and danced, and accidentally woke up my mother.

I cried because I finally had the opportunity to fit in somewhere, even if my family couldn’t technically afford it. I had a choice: I could replace my dying iPod, get new clothes in the fall and winter, or go to Antioch.

I chose Antioch. (READ)

Did you write about your experience at the 2012 Antioch Writers' Workshop on your blog? Send us an email to let us know, and we'll link to it on ours.

If you're interested in learning more about the Young Writers program, check out the details on our website.

1 comment:

  1. I went to the Antioch Writers Workshop in 2012, and it was AMAZING!!! I learned to write with strong verbs, create a character from only a name, critique others' writing and, most of all, THAT I WAS NOT ALONE. I was NOT the only teenager in my area who dreamed of becoming a novelist. There were at least 10 others, all of whom were creative, talented and supportive. They read with keen eyes and critiqued with keen minds and we had a blast.
    Most especially, I appreciated the attitude of the adult writers. Every adult writer I met encouraged me and said things like, "I wish I'd gotten a start this early," or "I wish I'd started at your age." Each adult gave me tips, answered my questions, smiled and was glad to see me. They didn't seem to feel awkward or upset that their writers' workshop had been invaded by 11 teenagers. Instead, they were glad, and seemed to rejoice at a chance to pass on their craft.
    If you are a young writer thinking of attending the Antioch Writers' Workshop under the Young Writers scholarship, DO IT! You will learn about this craft from those who are in the field, and you will make friendships and connections that will sustain you later on. So go ahead. Submit your work. You'll be glad you did.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog