We recently asked Nancy Pickard to share her top three writing tips.
Nancy is the New York Times bestselling author of 18 novels and dozens of short stories. Her current stand-alone novel, THE SCENT OF RAIN AND LIGHTNING, was on the extended New York Times Best Seller list for five weeks and was the Barnes & Noble Main Recommended Book for the spring of 2010. Nancy is also the author of a book for writers, 7 STEPS ON THE WRITER'S PATH. She will be delivering our 2011 AWW keynote address on July 9, 2011 at 7:00 p.m., and leading the fiction session of our morning classes during the workshop. (Learn more about Nancy on our Faculty page.)
Nancy's top three tips:
• If anybody makes you feel like not writing, run like hell in the opposite direction.
• It's all process. Failure is process. Rejection is process. Rewriting is process. Throwing it away and starting over is process. Getting it right is process. Even getting published is process. If we were inventors or scientists we'd think nothing of "failing." We'd just clean our test tubes, take what we learned from "failing," and then start the next experiment. Excuse me while I adjust my lab coat and get back to work on my book.
• It's not easy. Anybody who tells you it should be easy has never written anything worth reading.
Want to learn more from Nancy and the rest of our AWW 2011 Faculty? Register now for the workshop! Slots are filling quickly.
Wednesday, February 23, 2011
- ► 2014 (63)
- ► 2013 (89)
- ► 2012 (87)
- Writing Tips from AWW 2011 Keynoter, Nancy Pickard...
- Apply for Antioch Writers' Workshop scholarships
- AWW's "A La Carte" Options
- Enter Sinclair Community College contest to win sc...
- Announcing... Our 2011 Saturday Seminar Faculty!
- Dayton Daily News/AWW Short Story Contest--Best in...
- Friendly Reminder! Free Second Sunday Writers' Wor...
- Second Sunday FREE Writers' Workshop!
- ▼ February (9)
- ► 2010 (33)