Thursday, May 15, 2014

Young Writers Program Participants Remember...

With the Young Writers program participants gain an experience that lasts a lifetime: making fast friends, meeting working authors, and producing their own work. In a heartfelt reflection on her week at AWW, former Young Writers participant Marissa recalls the excitement of being accepted and her reflections on the program:
...I had the blessing to attend the Antioch Writers Workshop in Yellow Springs as a young writer. I remember crying because I misunderstood the information when I applied – I was sure that I would be notified by June 12, when really that was the start date for notification. I cried even harder when I got an email at midnight that said “Congratulations! You have been selected as a participant in the Antioch Writers’ Workshop Young Writers’ Program!” I also screamed, and danced, and accidentally woke up my mother.
I cried because I finally had the opportunity to fit in somewhere, even if my family couldn’t technically afford it. I had a choice: I could replace my dying iPod, get new clothes in the fall and winter, or go to Antioch. 
I chose Antioch.

If you're interested in learning more about the Young Writers program, this year's faculty member YA novelist Mike Mullin,  check out the details on our website.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Search This Blog