Novelist, short story writer, essayist and grant writer Rebecca Morean will lead the afternoon only Focus on Form session (July 11-16) at this summer's Antioch Writers' Workshop. The Focus on Form session, which does not require a manuscript, is designed to help participants start new pieces in three genres.
Guest lecturers in poetry, fiction and nonfiction will supplement the guidance and mentoring provided by Morean. The small seminar setting is ideal for writers who don't have a manuscript ready or can't commit to the Full Week workshop option. Full Week and Saturday Seminar participants may also attend the session. For a detailed schedule of the afternoon only Focus on Form session, visit
Rebecca Morean is an assistant professor of English at Sinclair Community College and the director for the college's annual creative writing contest. She offers the following three quick tips to writers:
1. Do it--don't talk about doing it or how you can't do it.
2. Give yourself permission to abandon chronology--just write that scene you really want to write.
3. Take out "that" whenever you can, even if it means rewriting the sentence.
Rebecca Morean is the author of In the Dead of Winter (St. Martin's Press) along with numerous stories and articles. Morean also serves as a board member for the Antioch Writers' Workshop. Most recently, Morean's personal essay, "The wedding bouquet I can't throw away," which she originally submitted through "Open Salon" at Salon.com was an editor's pick and cross-posted in the Life section of Salon.com. Rebecca Morean's complete bio is available at
Thursday, April 28, 2011
- ► 2014 (63)
- ► 2013 (89)
- ► 2012 (87)
- Focus on Form Covers 3 Genres, Available with Full...
- Writing Tips from AWW 2011 Faculty -- Joyce Dyer
- AWW Alumni / Faculty News -- April Eberhardt
- Antioch Writers' Workshop Goes Social
- Writing Tips from AWW 2011 Faculty -- Katrina Kitt...
- Writing Tips from AWW 2011 Faculty -- Matthew Good...
- AWW Alumni / Faculty News -- Janet Irvin
- Writing Tips from AWW 2011 Faculty -- Jamey Dunham...
- Writing Tips from AWW 2011 Faculty -- Jim Daniels
- ▼ April (9)
- ► 2010 (33)